ST Enodoc Church

Ttebetherick  North Cornwall.

The church dates around the 12th Century, the church is situated in sand dunes East of Daymer bay on the River Camel estuary. The church is built in stone rubble with a slate roof. The church is said to lie on the site of a cave where Enodoc lived as a hermit. In the 16th Century the church was buried by sand and only the tower could be seen. 1864 the church was unearthed and the dunes were stabilized, today the church is surrounded by a golf course. The church is a grade 1 listed building, John Betijeman Poet laureate is buried here.

DSC_0204_1119DSC_0204-Small02

The Alter At ST Mary’s Selborne

St Mary church Selborne Hampshire, was founded in the Saxon times and mentioned in the Domesday Book. The present church with its Norman tower, which largely dates back to 1180. In 1793 The Great Naturalist Gilbert White was buried here. In the mid 19th Century the nephew of Gilbert White restored the church. Outside the church stood the famous’ Selborne Yew’ tree which dates back over 1400 years, In 1990 the yew was blown down in a storm. In 2002 the yew was recognised by The Tree Council at the time of HM Queen Elizabeth Golden Jubilee as one of the 50 great British trees in recognition of its place in the National Heritage. Cutting from the tree are now thriving in the church yard.

DSC_0006_214DSC_0006-Small02

Wolvesey Castle

Taken in Winchester Hampshire, The old Bishops Palace standing next to Winchester Cathedral. Residence of the wealthy and powerful Bishops of Winchester since Anglo-Saxon time. The surviving ruins of the palace date largely from the 12th century, the work of Bishop Henry of Blois. The palace was also Know as The Anarchy, it was a very important building, and was the location for the wedding breakfast  for Queen Mary and Philip of Spain on the 25 July 1554 which was the last great occasion here. The palace was destroyed by the Roundheads during the English Civil War in 1646.DSC_0015-Small02

Romsey Abbey

Found in the beautiful market town of Romsey Hampshire by the river Test. Romsey Abbey was founded in 907 by King Edward the Elder for his daughter, Princess Aelflaed who was a nun, and became the first Abbess of Romsey. The Nunnery was highly regarded by the Saxon and Normans kings and nurtured two Saints, one of whom is commemorated in the dedication of the present church which dates from the 12th Century. The Abbey is one of the finest examples in Europe of late Norman architecture. It soaring columns and rounded arches convey majesty,strength and simplicity. In 1120 work began to build the three bays at the west end of the building, but due to lack of funds, they were not completed until the reign of Henry111 in 1250, by which time the style of arches had changed from Norman to Early English. The King gave a large number of Oaks from the New Forest to provide the roof timbers. In Henry V111 time the reputation of nearly all religious houses was low, and the excuse to close and pull down. However the people of Romsey raised £100 to purchase the Abbey which save it from being pull down, and has taken on a new role as the parish church of Romsey.DSC_0027-Small02JPeg