Now look after by the National Trust. The Tudor / Stuart mansion once owned by Sidney Godolphin 1st Earl of Godolphin [ 1652 – 1732] and served in Parliament for nearly 50 years, and also Governor of the Isles of Scilly.
Sevenoaks, Kent, England. Built as a palace in a Medieval deer-park, Knole was owned by the Archbishops of Canterbury, in the Tudor dynasty until King Henry V111 took over in 1538 from Thomas Cranmer. King Henry V111 spent a lot of money on Knole but never lived there. It was 1566 when Queen Elizabeth 1st gave Knole to her cousin Thomas Sackville who was a descendant to the Earl and Duke of Dorset. The Sackvilles still live there today. But with the upkeep of the House the Sackvilles handed the house over to the National Trust in 1946, however the contents of the house and the park remain the property of the Sackville family.