Found in the beautiful market town of Romsey Hampshire by the river Test. Romsey Abbey was founded in 907 by King Edward the Elder for his daughter, Princess Aelflaed who was a nun, and became the first Abbess of Romsey. The Nunnery was highly regarded by the Saxon and Normans kings and nurtured two Saints, one of whom is commemorated in the dedication of the present church which dates from the 12th Century. The Abbey is one of the finest examples in Europe of late Norman architecture. It soaring columns and rounded arches convey majesty,strength and simplicity. In 1120 work began to build the three bays at the west end of the building, but due to lack of funds, they were not completed until the reign of Henry111 in 1250, by which time the style of arches had changed from Norman to Early English. The King gave a large number of Oaks from the New Forest to provide the roof timbers. In Henry V111 time the reputation of nearly all religious houses was low, and the excuse to close and pull down. However the people of Romsey raised £100 to purchase the Abbey which save it from being pull down, and has taken on a new role as the parish church of Romsey.