St Mary church Selborne Hampshire, was founded in the Saxon times and mentioned in the Domesday Book. The present church with its Norman tower, which largely dates back to 1180. In 1793 The Great Naturalist Gilbert White was buried here. In the mid 19th Century the nephew of Gilbert White restored the church. Outside the church stood the famous’ Selborne Yew’ tree which dates back over 1400 years, In 1990 the yew was blown down in a storm. In 2002 the yew was recognised by The Tree Council at the time of HM Queen Elizabeth Golden Jubilee as one of the 50 great British trees in recognition of its place in the National Heritage. Cutting from the tree are now thriving in the church yard.