Set in the hills at the foot of the Lecht. Originally opened as a iron ore mine in 1730, the mine saw substantial losses and closed within seven years. In 1841 the mine reopened by the Duke Of Richmond as a manganese mine, with over 60 men and boys working it was the largest manganese mine in Scotland. But sadly competition from imported ore caused the mine to close for the final time, after five years of trading. Only the crushing mill building remains which was built to carry the water wheel. The mine can be reached by an attractive short walk from the well of the Lecht car park.